- Hotel ELIES
- Contact us
- Hotel ELIES location
- How to come to Hotel ELIES
- Out and around Hotel ELIES
- Rooms facilities and services
- Tips, Questions & Answers
- Photos of Hotel ELIES
- Kalymnos Island
- A brief presentation of Kalymnos
- Explore Kalymnos Island (map)
- Points of Interest on Kalymnos Island
- Beaches of Kalymnos
- Bus Stops & Taxi Stations
- Moving around Kalymnos
- Public Services at Kalymnos
- Sightseeing on Kalymnos
- Sports on Kalymnos
- Products, food and drinks of Kalymnos
- The Diving Heritage of Kalymnos Island
- Travel to Kalymnos
- Scuba Diving
- Prices & Offers
Castle of Chora Kalymnos
The Castle of Chora, also known as the Big Castle of Kalymnos Island, was the shelter for residents during pirate raids. When the raids stopped, people started building Chora village and slowly moved there, abandoning the Castle.
Chora village was the capital of Kalymnos Island for many years. Later on people started moving close to the sea and created Pothia town (known as Kalymnos town).
Only 9 small churches were preserved until recently that the castle was renovated.
Bigger resolution photos available for downloading at the end of the page.